Africa is Blessed
with a stunning natural environment and a population filled with courageous and capable people and communities. This is no more evident than in the West African country of Ghana and in the village of Okurase. With a rich culture of drumming and dancing, Okurase is truly a wonderful place to experience. Unfortunately, the residents of Okurase have virtually no access to medical care. With no toilets, sporadic electricity, a short food supply, and limited educational opportunities, their concerns are many. Along with these challenging conditions come a myriad of health problems, many minor and some life threatening.
On this trip, both medical and non-medical professionals are needed to join Ghanaian professionals to provide much needed care to the warm and welcoming residents of Okurase. While anyone is encouraged to join the trip, medical professionals in allied health, administration, pharmacy, pediatrics, pulmonology, optometry, ophthalmology and more are needed. Non-medical volunteers will be able to help in a supportive role, garner community support, coordinate logistics, and manage patient information.
All volunteers will get the extraordinary opportunity to experience life in a rural African village and interact with the locals. Anyone with a positive attitude and a strong work ethic is encouraged to join Project OKURASE, in partnership with the Medical University of South Carolina, and SAGE, on what will be a truly rewarding and life-changing experience!
- All travel and lodging within Ghana
- Emergency medical and evacuation insurance
- All meals and safe drinking water
- All entrance fees to sites and attractions
- Registration with Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
What’s NOT Included
- International airfare
- Participants are suggested to make their own air arrangements that connect to Delta flight # 478 departing JFK at 4:27 p.m on July 9th arriving in Accra, Ghana on July 10th, 2015 at 7:20 a.m. and returning on July 21, 2015 on Delta flight # 9373 departing Accra at 10:10 p.m. arriving in Amsterdam, Netherlands at 7 a.m. then connecting to Delta flight # 274 departing Amsterdam at 9:30 a.m. landing at JFK at 11:49 a.m. Connect to your flight back home. Please call the SAGE office to confirm your flights and trip status before actually purchasing
- If you arrive in Ghana at a different time from the flight above there will be an additional charge of $100 for transportation costs
- For excellent travel support, feel free to call New Horizons Travel Agency for assistance booking your air ticket at 970-223-7400. Ask for Jill or Karen and mention the Ghana medical trip. Estimated total flight cost is currently around $1200 – $1800
- Please consider purchasing insurance on your flight in the event of unforseen circumstances
- Airline baggage and cancellation fees
- Passport, visa, and immunizations – Please get your passport issued as soon as possible or make sure you have at least 6 months of validity left on your current passport from the time your return home from Ghana
- Trip cancellation insurance
- Personal spending money (such as souvenirs, gifts, and snacks)
- Licensed physicians must become licensed in Ghana before the trip. This does not apply to nurses, assistants, or any other medical professional. Project Okurase will assist with the logistics of this process which includes filling out and submitting a form along with your resume and letters of recommendation to be reviewed by the licensure board. Please note, Ghana recently raised the cost to become licensed. Please inquire about costs and details as they are formalized.
- Visit the musically vibrant and culturally rich West African country of Ghana
- Gain valuable medical experience in a safe, international setting
- Embrace the locals during five and a half days of medical care and outreach
- Work side-by-side Ghanaian health care professionals
- Visit Cape Coast and tour an historic slave castle
- Participate in a drumming workshop
- Swim in the waters of the Atlantic Ocean
- Visit the Arts Centre in Accra
- Much more…
July 9 – 22, 2015
Deadline: Register & pay by May 4th
Est. Flight Cost
$1200 – $1800
Ghana medical license required for licensed physicians. Please inquire about details and cost.
- Minimum 15 participants required. Maximum 30 participants. Register early as this trip will most likely fill up quickly.
- Families are welcomed and encouraged to join the trip. Individuals under the age of 18 need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Participant will receive a full refund minus a $75 cancellation fee if SAGE is notified by March 20, 2015
- If participant cancels between March 26, 2015 and May 31, 2015 traveler will receive a 50% refund minus the cancellation fee
- If participant cancels after June 1, 2015 there will be no refund
- Participant agrees that SAGE will NOT be responsible for any airline costs including, but not limited to, ticket price, change fees, baggage fees, and any and all airline cancellation policies
"I would like to say ‘Thank you SAGE!’ for organizing everything for this amazing trip. I will definitely remember this trip to India for the rest of my life."− Eric B., Student
"Getting immersed in the culture of India and getting to know and love the children was the greatest. When the students would cling to me at the end of class, and tell me how much they enjoyed having me there was heartbreaking."− Rachel W., Student
"We are so grateful to you for helping give our daughter her wings to fly!"− Kim M., Parent
"There is so much life, happening all the time. It's crazy to think that, after only three weeks, I feel like I've become accustomed to so much of how the world move."− Saul S., Student